Six essential tips for success in VISTA
Every VISTA competition brings together the most skilled technicians in Volvo Trucks’ and Volvo Buses’ global service network. Regardless of where they come from, there are certain characteristics that all successful teams share.
1. Communication. This is a competition for teams, not individuals, and so teamwork is essential. Everybody needs to be working together efficiently and the first step in this process is communicating and sharing information. All the skills in the world mean little if you’re not talking to each other.
2. Know the systems. The ability to find information in Volvo’s systems is a mandatory skill in VISTA. This includes Truck’s Portal, VBS, Accessories Information, and Warranty Systems. The better you know these systems, the easier it will be to find the right answer. They’re there to help you, so use them.
3. Read the questions carefully. Remember, it’s not only about finding the correct answer, but also using the correct method. One of the most common mistakes in VISTA is for teams to cut corners and assume that they know the answer. But procedures change and Volvo’s systems are updated regularly.
4. Invest the time. You will be given three weeks to submit your answers, so make the most of this time. Don’t leave it until the last minute. Taking the extra time to check your answers is often the difference between getting a question right and getting it wrong.
5. Practice. Everyday you’re working together with colleagues, solving problems, learning new things and gaining experience. In fact your daily work is the perfect training session for VISTA, so start working as a team now and take on every task as if it’s a VISTA question.
6. Learn. It’s no coincidence that the most successful VISTA teams are generally the most experienced, simply because they learn from their mistakes and acquire new knowledge from every competition. Make the most of the experience and try to absorb as much information as possible. You’ll not only help yourself develop professionally, but also make yourself an even stronger competitor for the next round.