However, in 2021, Gabriella achieved another milestone when she was nominated as the “Most Powerful Role Model“ among women by the Swedish MRF (Motorbranschens Riksförbund) and Wayke. The motivation behind this award read, ”A great inspiration for all young women in a male-dominated profession. She takes on new challenges all the time and is a great source of inspiration for both women and men”. During the same year, Gabriella became a mother, and it was the daughter Elda who became the “most powerful inspiration” for the young family.
Today, Gabriella is back to Wist Last & Buss, and it feels quite good. “I got a lot of support from my manager and colleagues during my pregnancy; I took lighter jobs, and I am grateful for that. I was at home for a while and now it’s nice to be back to work and to my daily routine", says Gabriella.
Gabriella, it looks like you like to be where the action is. Tell us more about the time with Volvo Action Service**.
- I worked within the on-call service for 5 years and it was a very useful experience. I wanted to learn to do things by myself and I learned to be fast in solving our customers’ problems. It worked as a very good complement to what I do in the workshop.
- There were long distances to travel, so you must ask the right questions when taking breakdown assistance calls and you need to take the right things with you as you cannot go back and forth 300 kilometers. In the winter, it was minus 30 degrees cold, and you cry when it’s so cold.
It appears to be a challenging task for anyone. What inspires and motivates you?
- I don't know; starting something new is difficult, you don't know what it will lead to. At the same time, I want to develop, to know more. I always want to know as much as possible, not be limited.
What advice would you give to other women who would want to try new things but unsure of where to begin?
- It would be great to see more women out here. One needs the right push, to dare to come forward. For me the first years were difficult, but I didn’t want to give up. I wanted to stand on my own two feet.
- I would also say: Get to know yourself, dare to test and ask. Some may want to watch a colleague renovating a gearbox first and then try to do it by oneself. Different people learn things in different ways. Dare to try. Learn from it even if it goes wrong the first time.
And one last question: Will you and the team be back in VISTA 2023 – 2024?
- Of course. VISTA is insanely fun; we learn new things and I am a very competitive person. It’s the highest target we’ve set for ourselves. As we say: As soon as VISTA ends, you want to come back.
*Volvo International Service Training Award
**Volvo Action Service is an on-call service that offers roadside vehicle assistance around the clock seven days a week, available along all major European transport routes.